Coffee Jelly [A Dessert For Summer]

Coffe Jelly 
I noticed that many hotels and restaurants in Japan serve coffee jelly as dessert. Some serve jelly set in a small bowl and other serve cubed jelly in dessert bowl, it is usually serve with syrup and milk at the side but I had my homemade version with some whipped cream on the top instead. Loving it. 


I made this with low sugar coffee from a bottle, those ready to drink type, as we have plenty in the pantry. Did not know mil likes coffee jelly so much, will make more for her soon.


Ingredients (3 servings):
  • 360 ml coffee (with sugar), room temperature
  • 8 g gelatin 
  • Whipped cream 
  • Thyme/Mint leaves for garnish

Method:
  1. In a glass bowl, mix small amount of coffee with gelatin and mix well. Put in the micro, select the "milk" heating function and press start. Or you can use manual selection, the point is not to over heat, around 60C is good. 
  2. Add in the rest of the coffee, mix well and heat up again. Transfer to bowls or molds, cool in room temperature then transfer to the refrigerator to chill for about an hour. 
  3. Before serving, top with whipped cream and green if desired. 

For cream, I use powder type that I finally bought weeks ago. Very easy to use, just add cold water or milk as instructed and whip up. It is practical especially when small amount of cream is needed. And, perhaps you have already noticed, I used ice-pillow to keep the bowl cool. Anyone else too use ice-pillow this way?


Cream for coffee jelly

* * *

This recipe was featured in Y3k Recipes issue no. 68, together with three other dessert recipes. Click on the photo and it will bring you to the related post and recipe.


Y3K68

Comments

  1. this is great! i love coffee
    thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.. I remembered I go crazy each time Starbucks offer the coffee jelly seasonal drink.. now, I can make my own!! I love to put coffee jelly into my chocolate drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo...is great, i love coffee too...(blue little kichen)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen coffee jelly before, and I can't take coffee but I'm sure it tastes yummy! Wondering do you plant your own thyme or it's from the supermarket? I just started planting basil and rosemary, doing research about other herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all comments.

    Cynful Pleasure: Yes, coffee jelly is yum in a drink too.

    Shannon: I have some potted herbs at home - rosemary, thyme, basil and kimome(Japanese prickly ash). And I have just added some garlic and spring onion onto my veg patch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried making coffee jelly with gelatin. Nomatter how much sugar I placed in, it ended up being sour and I had to throw them all in the bin.. Do you have any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracie,
    I think the water temperature is too high, I normal use 90C water (or slightly lower) for making coffee.
    Try again and let me know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love coffee. I'm sure it tastes yummy! now, I can make my own!! I love to put the coffee jelly into my chocolate drink! different types of coffee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)