Lamingtons [Australian Iconic Sweet]

Cake_Lamington3

Lamington - a cubed sponge cake coated with chocolate and desiccated coconut. It is originated from Australia and can be found easily in cafes and bakeries, regretted that I had not tried any when we were there years ago.

I baked these for afternoon tea few days ago and shared some with neighbours. J was very excited when I mentioned about bringing some cakes over to his friend. We buzzed the door bell a few times but no one answered. At the end, J went home with his little mouth pouted.

T only had some the next morning for his breakfast. Out of my expectation, he gave me positive feedback - soft and moist. That motivates me to bake more lamingtons, perhaps some without desiccated coconut for me. Without the coconut, do I still call it lamington?

Cake_Lamington1

I used sponge cake mix for the cake, try this recipe if you are baking from scratch.

Ingredients:

250g sponge cake mix
*4 large eggs
*60ml water
*60g vegetable oil
*as suggested on the packaging

Coating:
200g semi-sweet chocolate chips
10g butter
60ml full cream milk

50g desiccated coconut


Methods:

  1. Prepare sponge cake batter according to the packaging instruction. Bake in a 8" square pan, at 175C for 30 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
  2. For ganache, heat milk with double boil method then stir in butter and chocolate chips. Stir until the paste is smooth.
  3. Cut sponge cake into 16 equal portions, coat each portion with ganache followed by desiccated coconut.

Comments

  1. I've never heard of it...Lamingtons...that is. But they look really, really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un dolce Favoloso ricetta Sega. Ciao Daniela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Australia and I have to say your lamingtons look great - very yum!!! 98% of the lamingtons for sale here are not very tasty. A homemade one though is very good. Thanks for your terrific blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I can't wait to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look positively gorgeous! Perfect for a tea and sharing. I love the coconut addition! How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ur lamingtons are so pretty. the shapes are so even and uniform. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear all,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Try it, it's really good for a tea.
    cheers,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)