In Malaysia, it is very common to find banana fritter (fried banana) but not apple fritter (炸苹果). From my understanding, apple fritter is more common in western countries where apple is abundant. Cooked it once or twice when we were in Australia but response was not that good. After little sumo came along, this fritter becoming more popular.
The making of this fritter is similar to making banana fritter, an important ingredient added is ground cinnamon. Apple and cinnamon are two best friends, they go along really well with each other. This fritter can be served as snack with tea or as dessert together with ice-cream.
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced/chopped
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 no. large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Oil for deep-frying
- Icing sugar for coating (optional)
- Sift flours, corn starch, sugar and cinnamon together. Add in milk, melted butter and eggs. Stir with a spatula till just combined.
- Stir in apple. You may wish to coat apple with some all purpose flour before coating it with batter.
- To cook, drop a heap tablespoonful of batter into hot oil and fry till golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towel. Coat with icing sugar if desired.
This recipe is featured in Y3K Issue No. 62 along with 3 other apple recipes, apple puff, apple ice blocks and apple pancake.