Crepe Cake with Blueberry Cream [An Unplanned Dessert]

Crepe Cake 

 Lighting is so bad for my recent photographs, my kitchen is not bright enough as it is always under the "shade" of tall building next door. With little ones around, my model will be gone in no time so I am quite lazy to photograph my cooking lately. Need to kick away the lazy bugs from now on and hopefully I can produce some decent photographs with natural lighting.

Well, this is my first ever crepe cake and made unplanned. I was trying to make something different for breakfast to attract my boy to eat his breakfast before going to kindly. This 4 year-old boy is the type of person that would not have any appetite within 2 hours from he got up the bed. Instead of bread and cereal I made savory crepe with the filling he likes.Sadly, I failed. He had it as afternoon tea, it was tasty he said.

 Savory Crepe 

After sending him to kindy, there were still plenty of batter so I added extra sugar, milk and vanilla oil. As this recipe was not planned amount of all ingredients used were estimated, and crepe recipe below is included 5 thick savory crepes.

Ingredients:
Crepe
  • 1 cup cake flour (roughly)
  • 1 no. egg
  • Milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • Few drops vanilla oil

Icing/Blueberry Cream
  • 200 ml fresh cream (non-sweet type)
  • 150 ml blueberry jam  


Method:
  1. Combine together all ingredients for crepe in a large mixing bowl, mix till well combined. Set aside for about 30 minutes. This batter is quite runny and can be spread easily.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the cream.  Whisk fresh cream over a bowl of iced water until stiff peaks, add in blueberry jam in 2-3 additions and continue to whisk with low speed till well combined. Store in the refrigerator.
  3. Crepe: Preheat a non-stick pan, grease with cooking oil. Spread some batter onto the pan and cook with low heat till browned lightly. Transfer to a plate and continue this step for the rest of batter. The amount of batter is depend on size of the cake you are making.
  4. Assemble: Apply some cream on a crepe evenly and put another crepe onto it. Repeat this step for all crepes. 
  5. Chill before serving.

Cook's notes:
  1. For cream, use the jam made with more gelatin. I am very happy with the cream in term of texture and taste. It was also very easy to prepare.
  2. It is up to you is you want to cover the whole cake with cream, the amount of cream is enough to cover a 6" cake after layering.
  3. I added some jelly bites at the side, it is optional.

Comments

  1. What a brilliant idea! It's like having crepe in kuih lapis style. Espepcially now in the summer to have something cold and yet filling enough for afternoon tea. Thanks again for sharing this.

    Cheers,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy...thanks for sharing the recipe.,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crepes. I will try it out one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)