This was one of the dishes I cooked for mother in-law's birthday family dinner. My boys loved it so much they waited at the table when I was cutting it. I had to watch their hands and put this plate in a "safe place" after they finished all odd cuts. It is a dish that can be served at room temperature or chilled. Thus, can be prepared in advance to make cooking easy when cooking for entertaining guests at home.
I used steam-oven to steam but it can be steamed in any steamer, important point is to make sure the temperature should not be too high.
6 no. large eggs
50 g crab meat
50 g crab sticks, break into strips
4 tbsp dashi stock
1/2 tbsp mirin
1 tsp light soy sauce
A pinch of salt
- In a microwavable bowl, combine eggs and ingredients A and mix briefly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, cook in micro at 600w for 1 min and 30 seconds. Take out, mix with a whisk.
- Return to micro, cook for 1 mins. Take out, mix with a whisk.
- Return to micro, cook for 30 seconds. Take out, mix with a whisk. Repeat this step one more time.
- Then, add in crab meat and stick. Stir to mix.
- Grease pan with cooking oil, transfer egg mixture into pan.
- Steam at 90C for 20-25 minutes,cool completely.
- Invert steamed egg onto a chopping board, cut into desired shape and size.
These were what we had for dinner - clockwise: boiled prawn with miso based sauce, simmered shiitake mushroom (recipe in my book), spinach with cheese dressing and sakura ebi (micro dish), "fried" chicken (steam-oven dish), steamed eggs with crab (steam-oven), Chiniese style stuffed tofu and pumpkin balls (steam-oven dish) in the middle.