Japanese curry rice ((カレーライス, karē raisu) is one of the popular dishes in Japan, the thick curry sauce or gravy is served with steamed rice. It is a very easy dish to prepare with instant curry paste and handful ingredients.
In this basic curry, vegetables used were those commonly available in the kitchen such as onion, potatoes and carrots. Pick a box of curry paste (do check the level of spiciness carefully) and get cooking!
Ingredients (4-5 servings):
120g Japanese Curry Paste (1 small box), break into pieces
250g Beef/Chicken, cut into chunks
200g Onion, cut into wedges
250g Potato, peeled and cut into chunks
200g Carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1-2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Heat oil in a large pot, add in onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add in potato and carrot, stir-fry for about two minutes. Then add in meat and continue to cook for another two to three minutes.
- Add in water and bring to a boil.
- Drop in curry paste and stir till curry paste is dissolved.
- Turn the heat down, simmer with lid on for 30 minutes or so.
- Serve warm with steamed rice.