I have not cooked this soup for long, more than a year I think. Always cooked it when I lived in Singapore years ago. This is a simple and popular home cooked soup, each cook makes her own recipe by adding different ingredients in it. Many Cantoneses like to add Chinese ham to enhance the flavour and sweetness to the soup.
Other ingredients such as dried cuttlefish strips, scallop and dried oyster can also be added in the soup. To me, I prefer scallop as it is less fishy compared to cuttlefish and oyster.
Ingredients (2-3 servings):
- 1 sweet corn, chop into 4-6 pieces
- 300g pork ribs
- 2 dried scallop, rinse
- 1 small carrot, chop into chunk
- 10g snow fungus, soaked and drained
- 1 tsp wolf berries
- 3 red dates
- 1 litre water
- Salt to taste
- Rinse pork ribs until water is running clear, scald and drain. Set aside.
- Boil water in a large pot, add in all ingredients except salt. Let it simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add salt to taste, serve warm.